IntroductionThe Society of Breast Imaging is professional membership organization of over 3600 dedicated radiologists and technologists who specialize in breast imaging. Its mission is to save lives and minimize the impact of breast cancer. The Society seeks to support, improve, and advance breast imaging through education, communication, membership, quality organization and governance. The SBI is pleased to collaborate with RAB to provide educational resources to improve access to quality breast imaging services globally.
The Society of Breast Imaging (SBI) is the largest professional organization of breast imaging radiologists. The Society was founded in 1985, with Articles of Incorporation in Massachusetts. SBI provides continuing medical education credits for radiologists and technologists seeking to maintain their accreditation credentials with the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or with the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT). The Society of Breast Imaging is professional membership organization of over 3600 dedicated radiologists and technologists who specialize in breast imaging. Its mission is to serve as expert and authoritative breast imagers working in supportive practice environments who advance the highest quality of breast care via early detection, diagnosis, and treatment. The Society seeks to support, improve, and advance breast imaging through education, communication, membership, quality organization and governance. The SBI is pleased to collaborate with RAB to provide educational resources to improve access to quality breast imaging services globally.
OVERVIEW OF ENDURING OFFERINGS (more of an FYI)
The following are the current e-learning products available for members:
- Journal-Based CME: Education articles derived from the Society’s official journal, Journal of Breast Imaging offering 1 CME credit.
- Symposium Lectures: Recordings derived from live annual meeting workshops.
- Webinars: In conjunction with member volunteers, webinars are offered and repurposed into enduring activities and offered to members free of charge.
- SBI Exam: Certification exams can be challenging and require careful preparation. The new SBI Exam will be an asset to practicing breast imagers in their preparation. The exam, constructed by expert breast imagers at SBI, will allow users to assess knowledge of subspecialty content in a simulated format.
- Technologist Positioning Series: 5 lecture series on proper positioning specifically designed for technologist and radiologist education.
- Residents and Fellows Lectures Series – accessible via YouTube, the Residents & Fellows Section carefully curated a catalog of lectures designed for the needs of radiologists still in training.
OTHER PROGRAMS & SERVICES
SBI is committed to more than educating its members. Its commitment to breast imaging, includes programs and services that aid in the growth and development of the individual member and to the field.
- SBI Research & Education Fund: The mission of the R&E Fund is to support the research and education of breast imaging professionals. SBI offers travel grants to residents and fellows who have been selected to present their original scientific work at the Breast Imaging Symposium. The travel stipend will give them the opportunity to attend the entire conference to enhance their knowledge while networking with their peers and leaders in the field of breast imaging. Members generous donations ensure these deserving young professionals—the future of the Society— will have the access, support, and resources they need to excel.
- Breast Imaging Fellowship Match Program: SBI is the sponsoring organization for the official Breast Imaging Fellowship Match. Administered by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), the Fellowship Match was established in 2017 to improve the interview and offer process for residents applying to breast imaging fellowship programs.
- Mentorship Program: Currently under development, the mission of the SBI Mentorship Program is to foster goal-driven mentor relationships to promote the career development and professional growth of its members. Its goals include to; create pairings between mentors and mentees with complementary needs and goals, continuously evaluate the mentorship relationships, facilitate leadership skills of mentors and mentees and increase engagement from members early in their careers.
- Journal of Breast Imaging: Journal of Breast Imaging (JBI) has quickly established itself as an indispensable resource in the global radiology community. It is the first and only peer-reviewed journal fully dedicated to breast imaging, offering a much-needed supplement to the broader general-radiology journals. The Society of Breast Imaging recognized and responded to this void in the literature with the launch of JBI in 2019.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Nika White Consulting an expert-led process facilitator was hired to develop a plan to lay the foundation for developing a path forward to inform recommendations and establishment of a strategic and sustainable diversity, equity, and inclusion initiative. SBI is committed to ensuring its members understand the importance and value of DEI and its impact it has in their work environment through exchanges with colleagues and patients.